RE: oils

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: oils
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 13:36:44 -0400
I have been very reluctant to chime in on the oils subject because it seems
to me that we, being those on the outside of the oil industry, are so far
behind the 8 ball that we have little chance of really getting to the bottom
of the issue.
The one thing that I do know is the answer to a recent enquiry that I made
of Valvoline regarding their VR1 Racing Oils.
I question was:
"We race an 1953 Austin Healey which has flat tappets. VR1 saved our bacon
in the 2004 Targa Newfoundland when we ran the engine at full race speed for
14 km with no oil in it at all after puncturing the pan. Now we are getting
very concerned about the removal of zinc from oils. Can you confirm that
your non synthetic VR1 20/50 has still got sufficient ZDDP to protect the
cam in this irreplaceable engine?"
And the answer that I received, which I have since confirmed with a follow
up phone call was:
"VR1 racing still has 1400ppm of zinc. The oils rated ILSAC GF4 were lowered
to 850ppm."
I'm inclined to stick with what has worked for me.
I have added this to my blog post on the subject.
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=49#comment-2981

Michael Salter
100S (1955)
3000 Mk111(1965)