[Healeys] Stator Tube & Trafficator Question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Stator Tube & Trafficator Question
From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:44:56 -0700
Gerry,

I agree with Alan Seigrist that if you have an adjustable steering wheel,
you will now have to try to pull the stator tube out of the steering box,
which is not easy.

On the adjustable steering setup, there are essentially two stator tubes,
the longer one which protrudes from the steering box and the shorter
adjustable one that is attached to the trafficator.   The problem is that
the longer stator tube is not long enough to extend out of the steering
wheel end once it has been pushed up into the steering box.  You now have
nothing to grab on to to either pull it completely out or to line up to push
it back through the steering box.  Once it is up in there it tends to become
misaligned with the hole at the end of the steering box and it is a royal
pain to try to get it out.  I almost made this same mistake last week until
Roger Moment reminded me to leave the jam and olive nut in place.

Bottom line is that there is really no reason too remove the jam and olive
nut on this setup since you will avoid the problem you are now
encountering.  Just pull the trafficator and short stator tube out together
as a unit and leave the long stator tube locked in place.

Cheers,

Curt Arndt
Carlsbad, CA
'55 BN1, '60 AN5 :{) '72 RWA Midget, '06 Mini Cooper S- Hide quoted text -