Re: [Healeys] playing detective

To: 'James Shope' <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>, 'healeys'
Subject: Re: [Healeys] playing detective
From: PG <bj8mk3@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:37:05 -0700
The quickest way to tell your problem is by doing a leak down test.

There are specialized tools for this purpose but, you can do it without.

Using a pressurized air hose with an adaptor to fit in the sparkplug hole,
pressurize the cylinder you want to test with about 150 lbs of air.

Because you have no compression in this cylinder, the air will leak out:  If
it leaks out the carburetor or the exhaust pipe, you have a leaky valve
(intake or exhaust depending upon where the air comes out):  If the air
leaks out through the rings, you will hear the "hiss" through the oil
dipstick tube.

A least then, you will know where to look.

Good Luck.

Paul