[Healeys] Gear lever boot ring

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Gear lever boot ring
From: Daniel and Diane White <dwhite4949@wowway.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 08:57:50 -0400
O.K. here's a question for you listers with a center shift gearbox.  My
exploded view of the gearbox shows the chrome ferrule, "gear lever boot
ring", on the underside of the rubber gear lever boot (Moss catalog).
Logic (?) would dictate to me that the ferrule is on top and fits over
the molded part of the boot that slides down over the base of the gear
lever.  Question- has anyone successfully installed one of these chrome
ferrules? I've lubed the boot, the gear lever, put the boot on the
lever, tried to put the ferrule on the boot- no go.  To me it looks like
the i.d. of the ferrule is too small for the o.d. of the boot portion
that slides down over the gear lever.  I think my only recourse is to
saw a slit in the ferrule on the back side.  I wonder if /some/ of the
people that repro /some /of these parts ever try to put them on a
Healey.  Any thoughts?
Dan White
1962 BN7 Mk II