Re: [Healeys] Brake system rebuild

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake system rebuild
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:46:50 -0800
Carl,

IMO, you have to go completely through the system.  Brakes are just too
important, and after 20 years probably all the parts will be gunked-up
with degenerated fluid.

- Remove, clean and inspect all cylinders
- Thoroughly inspect all hard lines--if rusted consider replacing
- Go through calipers and replace pistons with stainless steel
- Check all bores--re-sleeve or replace if necessary (aluminum cylinders
CANNOT be honed)
- Replace all rubber components, inc. flex lines
- If your M/C was gunked-up, your servo will likely be as well.  Servo
rebuild is doable for a competent amateur (check the archives for much
discussion).  If you don't rebuild it, it'll malfunction sooner
(probably) or later.
- Replace vacuum line to servo and check functioning of check valve
- Your brake switch might be INOP after sitting for so long--replace if
necessary
- If you want to use DOT 5 (I like it) you'll need to thoroughly flush
all lines with denatured alcohol or other "dry" solvent and purge
completely with dry compressed air (don't forget the reservoir and lines)
- I'd go through clutch cyls as well (while you're at it, install Mr.
Finespanner's clutch bleed line extension)

bs