Re: [Healeys] Brake system rebuild

To: bspidell@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake system rebuild
From: "WILLIAM B LAWRENCE" <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 04:36:36 +0000
The Alloy cylinders have anodized bores and honing removes the anodized
layer destroying the sealing surface. The bores, in normal service, are not
usually damaged and most I have seen were just coated with a gummy substance
I assume is solidified brake fluid. I've always had good luck cleaning them
up with dish soap and hot water. If the deposits are stubborn I use soft
scrub and an old toothbrush to clean it out. Afterward I rinse them with hot
water and put them in a warm oven (225 degrees will work) to dry them out. I
suppose it's possible for the bores to be scratched if grit has been allowed
inside or to be pitted if they have been wet, but that's unusual.

Bill Lawrence