Re: [Healeys] Brake system rebuild

To: jimhearn1@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake system rebuild
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 18:57:15 -0800
Carl Johnson wrote:
> Didn't realize this. Is that different from typical old American
> cars? That's mostly where I have my experience.

Yep.  Think most American cars--older ones anyway--have iron cylinders.
BTW, my BJ8's original M/Cs were aluminum, but the newer replacements
were iron (rear slaves are Al).  There's some disagreement as to which
is correct (I think Al is).  Don't think either should be painted.
> Right... I was told that the servo is incompatible with DOT5 though.
> Is that still the case if I rebuild it (replace the seals)? I'm
> guessing not...

I've been running DOT5 in my car for probably 20 years.  The original
servo lasted for 140K miles, and I've got about 10K on the rebuild.  The
servo is essentially another M/C that is vacuum driven, with an
operating valve driven by the primary M/C.
> Yeah got the master clutch cylinder out already. The inside is in
> better shape but the outside is worse than the brakes. Need to get at
> the slave cylinder next... gotta go through the gearbox tunnel I
> guess. And yes I will *definitely* install that bleeder extension.
> What a pain otherwise!

You can get the slave out from below, but you have to be a small-handed
contortionist ;)  AFAIK, it's OK to media blast the outside of the cyls.

bs