[Healeys] carb problem

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] carb problem
From: "James Shope" <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 21:18:16 -0800
need help.  helped a club member rebuild a set of bj8 carbs that had a lot of
gunk and corrosion in them.  jets were frozen to the tube and rubber
disintegrated when we took it apart.  put new kits in and everything looked
good.  after putting them on we get lots of gas coming out of the manifold
drains.  kept leaning jets until could not go further but gas still kept
draining and engine was running rough with lots of smoke.  needle valves are
working correctly and fuel pump was not changed.  could the kits have had too
large of jets or would changing to larger needles in the pistons lean it out?
TIA   hjim