[Healeys] Jumpy Speedo

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Jumpy Speedo
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 06:23:10 -0700
Not that kind of Speedo ;)

I had the speedometer in my BJ8 modified for a 3.5 rear end a few years
ago.  It's performed flawlessly until recently, when it began to get
"jumpy" (will indicate correctly for a second or two, then jump 10-15mph
higher momentarily, then settle back down--more or less consistently).
I've cleaned and re-lubed the cable to no effect, and with a road trip
coming up don't have time to take it to a shop.

Can these be easily disassembled--I just need to remove the cover--and
cleaned, say, with a no-residue electronics spray cleaner?   Are tiny
bits going to fall all over my garage floor and disappear into the fifth
dimension, never to be seen again?  If not, I'm thinking a light coat of
silicone lube on the moving parts, or should I leave it dry?  Do the
bearings or other internal parts wear out in 20-30K of driving?

Appreciate any and all replies.

bs