Re: [Healeys] Jumpy Speedo

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>, Bob Spidell
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Jumpy Speedo
From: "J. Scott Morris" <jstmorris@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 06:37:50 -0700 (PDT)
   Hello Bob;  Here is a   Jaeger & Smiths speedometer repair manual
   by Anthony Rhodes.  It can also be found at:
   http://home.comcast.net/~rhodes/speedo.pdf

   Good luck with your Jumpy Speedo. :-)

   --Scott Morris; Simcoe, Ontario, Canada; '60 MkI BN7 & '62 MkII BT7
   J. Scott Morris - Keep Smiling, Murphy Lives
   --- On Fri, 5/16/08, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net> wrote: <<  I
   had the speedometer in my BJ8 modified for a 3.5 rear end a few years
   ago.  It's performed flawlessly until recently, when it began to get
   "jumpy" (will indicate correctly for a second or two, then
   jump10-15mph higher momentarily, then settle back down--more or less
   consistently).   I've cleaned and re-lubed the cable to no effect, and
   with a road trip coming up don't have time to take it to a shop.
   Can these be easily disassembled--I just need to remove the cover--and
   cleaned, say, with a no-residue electronics spray cleaner?   Are tiny
   bits going to fall all over my garage floor and disappear into the
   fifth dimension, never to be seen again?  If not, I'm thinking a light
   coat of silicone lube on the moving parts, or should I leave it dry?
   Do the bearings or other internal parts wear out in 20-30K of
   driving?   Appreciate any and all replies. >>