Re: [Healeys] Jumpy Speedo

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Jumpy Speedo
From: BJ8 Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 10:56:11 -0400
Hi, Jerry -
Here is a page that gives some good info on conversion of a tach to negative
ground, including some testing and repair information plus calibration:
http://www.lotus-cortina.com/electric/convert.htm

There is a plastic adjustment screw inside the tachometer case to accept a flat
blade screwdriver, and I assume that it is for making corrections to the
calibration.  When I had my tachometer apart for the postive to negative ground
modification, I drilled a hole in the tachometer case in line with the
adjustment screw.  If I ever need to do the adjustment, I won't have to take
the tachometer apart to access the screw, and should be able to make the
adjustment while the tach is installed and operating.  I covered the new hole
with a piece of electrical tape to keep out dust.
I recently had occasion to purchase a new tachometer/dwellmeter from Sears for
checking/adjusting my timing and dwell.  The Sears tach and my dash tach were
exactly in agreement at 600, 1000, and 3000 RPM, so I am happy.
You should have a separate tachometer (preferably one you can trust) for
comparison if you are going to mess with the calibration of your tach.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry