Re: [Healeys] Hot Healeys

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Hot Healeys
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 05:45:11 -0700
I believe the phenomenon of concern with wrapping exhaust pipes is high
temperature corrosion, which doesn't require the presence of a liquid
electrolyte.  The additional heat retained in the pipes due to the wrapping
just makes the high-temp corrosion problem more severe than it normally is.

I would have to disagree that a stainless exhaust system is a waste of money
in a Healey.  I went through two stock exhaust systems before I installed my
stainless system in 1986.  It's still hanging in there and good as new, as
far as I can tell, after 90,000 miles or so.  Of course, it does have some
dents and scrapes on the bottom of the mufflers.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC   USA