Re: [Healeys] Oil seal removal

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil seal removal
From: tomleavy@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:14:49 +0000
Hi Burt-

I recently went through the same procedure on my 63 BJ7. The buffer that you
refer to is not available, but is of a semi-firm composition. I have gotten
advice suggesting either linoleum or leather from 1/16-1/8" in thickness as a
replacement. FWIW, if you are just interested in replacing the seal, auto parts
stores usually sell oil seal pullers (just saw one on the shelf at PepBoys
recently). I struggled getting mine out with the screwdriver method, and
ultimately pulled the bellhousing. This then moitivated me to change the tranny
seals, open the overdrive and change those seals and so on. I was not thrilled
about the idea initially, but with patience, and this great List as a
reference, I persevered, and now won't have to keep wiping my car's bottom.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask away.