Re: [Healeys] Speaking of the M modification..

To: e-wilkins@cox.net, Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Speaking of the M modification..
From: GSFuqua1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:17:31 EST
I have been following this thread with some interest because of the
discussion in "Value Added" if one does the LeMan or M Kit NOW  Vs if it came
from the
factory or can be documented back to a specific dealer  add on when it was
originally sold.

Granted the total number of either "Factory M's or Originally Added Dealer  M
Kits" is somewhat debatable it still falls into a specific category which has
 a value assigned to it by the various companies that do that sort of thing.
i.e.  N.A.D.A. for Classic Cars, Sports Car Market, etc.  It seems that most
of  the discussion has been that adding the M kit now doesn't add value or if
so  very little (Except as it may be for the current owner) and that  IF it
adds value it would not be enough to cover the cost of  the M kit.  Some of
that
has to do with where & when you buy the parts  & who does the work BUT there
is a specific category listed  for stock BN 2's, one for Converted M's (Doesn't
matter when)  AND one for the truly Certified Factory M's.   While I haven't
looked at my books in a few months the last time I did there was  over a
$20,000. difference in the valuation assigned to a Factory M Vs a Stock  BN 2
and
there was about $10,000. difference between a Stock BN 2 Vs a Converted  M.
(again, not matter when the kit was added).  This would seem to differ  from
what
many have indicated.

While it may be a "Moot" point to many, as they never intend to sell their
cars, it does indicate there is value in adding the M kit from a "Market"  view
point in addition to what the owner may get from driving a slightly  upgraded
BN 2.  In my opinion converted M's will NEVER equal what a Factory M is worth
in the market (Nor should it!) but if  the question is "Does adding the M kit
now add value?"  The market makers  say it does.  So as usual it boils down
to a personal decision.  Are  you looking for value, improved performance or
trying to stay Concours correct  for your car?  Value would only seem to matter
if one intended to sell the  car.  The other two will always be a matter of
personal opinion, of which,  everyone has one.

The biggest issue to me is that if one does decide to add the M kit now and
then later decides to part with the car is should NEVER be  represented as a
true "Factory M."

Cheers,

Gary Fuqua
Classic Sports Cars
56 BN 2 LeMan (i.e. Converted to M spec  Non-Factory)