Re: [Healeys] Re-installing Tranny?

To: <ahpowered@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Re-installing Tranny?
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:12:17 -0500
Scott,

Having done this during my restoration 3 or 4 times (2 of which were in the
finished state) I know exactly what your concerns are.  Pull your carpet out,
lay down towels all over the floors, remove the pass. door moldings, protect
the aluminum finishers somehow, and place 2X4 or 2X6 wood pieces between the
outer sill and the tranny opening for sliding the tranny on to get it in where
you can set it for the big final move.  You need a floor jack that will allow
you to roll the tranny fore and aft while it supports the weight of the tranny
in the opening.  Have two 1X4's or something like bed slats available for
prying the tranny from side to side (or causing it to roll) as necessary for
lining up the input shaft at the same time as getting the widest part of the
tranny through the widest part of the scuttle opening.  I am assuming that you
have a jack under the rear of the engine so jack it up a little to make for a
pretty level mating of the two units.

Now, take a deep breath and heave that lump from the garage floor into the
cockpit and place the tail into the drive shaft tunnel.  Swing the front part
onto your floor jack and raise or lower the tranny and/or engine to get a
pretty level line.  Then push the tranny forward watching the right side,
rolling it as necessary to make it through the opening.  Go slowly and have
patience here to avoid scratching things up too badly.  When you get the
splines hitting the input shaft then rotate the output shaft a little for a
good mate.  When I get this far I sit down on the drive shaft tunnel, place my
feet on the bell housing and bump it the rest of the way home.  It usually
isn't a pretty site watching it and every time things seem to go a little
differently, but I'm not afraid to do it by myself now. Be sure before you
start that your OD wiring is where you want it on the left side of the opening
and away from anything that could damage it.  I'm sure others have a few tips
to add from their experiences, just remember that once you start this you
can't stop until it is securely in place.  Oh, be sure the mounts are off the
tranny, I think that helps with movement.  If you need some stability then
place small pieces of wood back there on each side to help.

Good luck,

George Haywood
'65 bj8