Re: [Healeys] Annoying noise from steering column

To: "'Jeffrey Johnson'" <mondoluxe@suddenlink.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Annoying noise from steering column
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:31:52 -0800
Peter,

This is a SWAG ("Scientific Wild-Assed Guess"), but we're rebuilding our
100's steering and noticed a couple parts (
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/SearchResults.aspx?SearchText=262-320&WebCatalogID=0

) which might apply.  These are rubber rings--probably square-cut
O-rings--which are sometimes described as 'anti-rattle' and appear to be
used to keep the steering shaft from contacting the steering sleeve.  I
would imagine this noise would be most noticeable at idle and slow
speed.  Ours were missing but there are a couple of rubbery smears on
the shaft where they might have been 50 or so years ago.

Bob