Re: [Healeys] Flywheels

To: WILLYS49@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Flywheels
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:26:46 +0000 (UTC)
A while back I asked what was to be gained from lightening Healey flywheels. It
didn't make sense to me, since a few pounds on the flywheel would have to be
inconsequential compared to the 2,400 lbs or so the engine was being asked to
motivate; i.e. the rotating mass of the flywheel didn't matter squat compared
to the mass of the drivetrain and the car overall.

Gary Andersen (our own 'editorgary') pointed out the main advantage was that
the engine could free rev quicker, allowing for faster downshifts in races.
Given the 'crashbox' personality of a stock Healey gearbox it didn't seem like
there was much to be gained outside of racing, where either the gearboxes were
modified or the driver was willing to tolerate crunching shifts for a few
seconds off the clock. Plus, if your car is a street driver you'll spend lots
of time idling in traffic and the heavier flywheel makes for a smoother, more
consistent idle.

Bob