Re: [Healeys] Flywheels

To: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Flywheels
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 05:58:13 -0800
Good info, Kees.

I still don't see how a lightened flywheel gives faster upshifts (or
acceleration), given that revving isn't (usually) required, as it is for
smooth downshifts.

Bob

Oudesluys wrote:
> It is always hard to compare before and after the rebuild
> performances. Before, the engine was probably tired hence the rebuild.
> After, performance will always be better, even if the rebuild is bog
> standard.
> A lightened flywheel will not give you extra BHP, but it will give you
> a better engine response and better accelleration (mainly because one
> can shift gears quicker) at the cost of less smoothness, depending of
> how much inertia you removed. If overdone drivebility will be
> affected, but worse may be the possible damage to the drivetrain,
> especially in highly tuned engines. Sometimes you get pitting of the
> gears in the gearbox and/or differential if the engine vibrations
> (bangs per pot) are not sufficiently damped (by the inertia of the
> flywheel). I experienced this way back in the 60's with a Fiat Abarth
> 1000 and a Glas 1304TS run on the track. It is also sound engineering
> knowledge and a well known phenomina with gearbox designers. It may
> call for different oil and/or an oil cooler for the gearbox.
> Kees Oudesluijs
> NL

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently. -
Henry Ford