Re: [Healeys] Lucas Sports Coil

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lucas Sports Coil
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:32:03 +0000
Bob

Good point. To elaborate this; one has to consider adding an extra
contact to the starter button or switch or alternatively a relay circuit
if one wishes to convert a standard A-H to a ballasted system. This will
give a stronger spark whilst the engine is cranking and the battery
voltage is reduced but one has to consider whether this is worth all the
bother.

One related point. On some British 1970s cars, and perhaps many others,
the ballast resistor is hidden as a length of resistance wire in the
loom. This can lead to one looking for a visible ballast resistor. When
one cannot be found one incorrectly assumes that one should fit a
non-ballast coil. I found this on a car, not a A-H, that misfired at
higher revs after a so called repairer had been involved.

This is something else in life that I learnt the hard way.

Regards

--
John Harper