Re: [Healeys] Hundred on Ebay #130306970927

To: "'Healeys'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Hundred on Ebay #130306970927
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 15:38:52 -0400
I haven't bought a car from BMC Classics, but I have visited their shop in
New Smyrna Beach, FL once.  I had never met them before, but after I
explained my involvement in the BJ8 registry Harold and Eva Brandner gave me
the run of their shop, unsupervised, to collect numbers off of all of the
BJ8s there.  Harold even removed the body number plate from one car and gave
it to me when I told them it didn't belong to that car.  Eventually, I
returned the plate to the correct owner in The Netherlands.
Eva very helpfully volunteered to make copies of the BMIHT certificates for
each car (which they always obtain) and gave them to me before I left.  She
has since sent me more certificates and frequently provides information on
the cars that come through their shop.

As to the Hundred being offered on eBay, I'm not sure that the photographs
show that they have been re-touched in an effort to mislead.  It rather
appears to me that someone has just attempted some very amateurish body
repairs to the door and passenger's side.  I would guess that BMC Classics
bought the car like that.

This is not an attempt to defend BMC Classics so much as it is to say that I
have come across quite a few eBay and other sellers/repairers/restorers who
are not interested in anyone knowing the details or history of the cars they
handle.  That always makes me suspicious of what they are willing to cover
up.  The Brandners are not like that, and that would give me a much better
feeling about considering buying a car from them.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA