Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Tractability

To: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Tractability
From: "Chris Dimmock [Healey]" <austin.healey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 04:59:26 +1000
Yep. Loose rear axle location, and what Joe said, plus car "rake" has a lot
to do with weight distribution & corner weight balancing - i.e. is the car
lower at the front than the rear? Many healeys are lower at the rear =
WRONG! = too light under really harsh acceleration.
Of course, if you've ever driven a Healey with a Detroit Locker - you'd
think what is happening was quite normal....
A Detroit Locker makes the rear of the car "step out" 3 feet or so every
time you lift off.... on a dry road....
Which is nowhere near as much fun as it sounds on a wet public road......

Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com
(Quaiffe in the Black & white car now. Detroit Locker on the shelf. Quaiffe
is much easier to drive on the road, but give me the Detroit Locker on a dry
track anyday!!)