Re: [Healeys] Insulation Recommendations

To: Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Insulation Recommendations
From: robert westcott <55healey@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:42:43 -0700
Hey Carlos,

        We're in the same boat, or submarine as the case may be.  I ended up
with a very soggy interior after the Portland ABFM and the old tarred
down insulation was not going to dry out.  I chipped it out 1/2 sq.
inch by 1/2 sq.inch.  Good news is the old tar came off clean with
just surface rust.  There was even some shiny original metal down
there.  I decided seal the floor with POR-15 (this is a driver, not a
concours car).  I took Normans advice and checked the seat foams, they
weren't bad and I dried them out with a radiant heater.  It also gave
me a chance to remove and clean up the seat runners.
        I wanted to put in an insulation that I could remove if (when) the
floor gets wet again.  I have Dynamat Xtreme on the firewalls and
under the transmission tunnel, it's great but it is aggressive and I
wouldn't ever want to be the guy who has to take it off.  I am not
putting it on my floors.  I want something I can take out easily and
chose a dense closed sell foam anti-fatigue mat from Lowe's. It's 1/4"
thick and It will sit down well. I want to try it for awhile and see
if it will work for both insulation and sound.  My rugs are fine and
will cover up whatever is under them. Good news is I am back on the
road and it can be changed out easily in the future.

Rob