Re: [Healeys] King Pin with needle bearings

To: "Oudesluys" <coudesluijs@chello.nl>, "'4 - Healeys'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] King Pin with needle bearings
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:01:28 -0000
Early attempts to replace the original railko bush (fibre) steering joint in
a Land Rover with needle rollers were fated because of the harshness of the
leaf sprung suspension and it was only when the Range Rover was introduced,
with the softer coil sprung movement, that the taper roller bearings for
steering were introduced on the production line.  The introduction of coil
springs in current models of Land Rovers also meant the introduction of the
taper roller bearings for the current day steering system.
I ran a couple of leaf sprung Land Rovers with modified front hubs that had
steering lighter than the Spridget (literally one easy finger) and both had
to have steering dampers fitted because of 'oscillating front wheel
problems!  (LOL)  They needed checking (and greasing) on a regular basis
with lots of trial and error on the preloading.  Steering boxes contributed
a lot towards the 'oscillation' and a 1/4 turn of the steering wheel before
the front wheels turned wasn't that unusual.
When I bent the front axle of my Land Rover after flying a little further
than anticipated the modified taper roller bearings survived to be used at
the ends of the next axle.

Guy R Day