Re: [Healeys] template for BJ8 clutch

To: "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] template for BJ8 clutch
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 20:45:07 -0700
Alan:

As far as I can tell from the literature that I have, the change to the
diaphragm clutch was made late in the BJ7 production and ran right to the end
of BJ8 production - with the corresponding change to the flywheel drillings.
They did fiddle around with a couple of sizes of disc - 9 1/2", 9" - today's
replacements seem to measure up at around 9 1/4".

In any case, the problem for Ira remains the same: the flywheel will have to
be re-dowelled, and the flywheel  bolt holes will have to be enlarged because
of the configuration of the diaphragm (BJ8) clutch - no big problem for any
competent machine shop.

It's a change that is well worth it in my opinion - I did it to my tri-carb
many years ago (although I used a BJ8 flywheel lightened by Bill Bolton,
rather than reconfiguring the original).  It's simply a much better clutch.

Cheers,  ---   Earl