[Healeys] Girling Break Servo vs. Lockheed

To: <gmandas@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Healeys] Girling Break Servo vs. Lockheed
From: "Mr. Finespanner" <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 16:41:16 -0700
Greg,
In my experience the Girling servos work much better than any aftermarket
substitution.  Power Brake Exchange in San Jose does an excellent job
rebuilding Girling servo units.  They refinish them to original spec, bench
test
them, and give a one year warranty.  We sent them one from a Healey that
had been parked since 1971 and it was no problem.  Mike at PBX told me
they do as many as 10 Girlings a week, so they are quite well versed in the
peculiarities.  I have been sending them Girling units ever since Girling
quit
making rebuild kits (almost 20 years now) and have never had a problem.
The cost on the last rebuilds was $268 each, equal to or less than the price
of an alternate that doesn't work as well.  With a rebuilt Girling it is
also not
necessary to replace the 2 brake pipes, which you would very likely need to
do with a non-Girling unit, and you will not be detracting from the value of
your car.
regards,
Doug Reid, 18G Motorworks

Message: 2