Re: [Healeys] Silicone vs Glycol (natural or otherwise) brake fluid

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Silicone vs Glycol (natural or otherwise) brake fluid
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:44:31 -0700
Since at least 2 Listers (myself and another) have had problems with
DoT4 crystallizing in brake systems in cars that sat for extended
periods (a couple years), I'm wondering why this is, and why cars that
don't sit don't seem to have the problem.  My guess: the heat and
agitation from using brakes keeps whatever tends to crystallize in
solution.

FWIW, one of the few/only ways to determine antifreeze
poisoning--antifreeze being another form of glycol--is to examine liver
and kidney tissues for crystalline precipitation.  I believe the
substance is an oxalate.

bs

"The United States armed forces have standardised on silicone brake
fluid since the 1990s."--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

What a bunch of snobs.

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net