Re: [Healeys] BN1 gearbox help

To: "Carr&Edwards" <scvc70@epix.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1 gearbox help
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 07:56:12 -0500
You may have already tried it, but have you applied penetrating oil like PB
blaster before applying the heat?  also may or may not work but worth a
shot, tighten the nut very firmly back down, as in to a greater degree that
it was before, I know you are moving in the wrong direction, but if there is
a bit of corrosion holding it in this may break the corrosion bond, you have
said it is well and truly stuck so your worries about gettting it "more
stuck" using this method are minimal.in my humble opinion.

If you have a metal punch with the appropriate sized end you should be able
to whack it pretty good with the bolt attached (good idea for saving the
part by the way) without damage.  Having the part and or what the part is
attahced to mounted or held in place as firmly as possible helps too, so the
force of the whack is not absorbed.

My best results in similar situations have involved:

1.  Stuck part in a vice (probably not an option for you) or still firmly
mounted to the car

2.  Penetrating oil, followed by

3.  Propane torch, followed very quickly while it is well and truly hot by

4.  The big whack with an appropriate tool well placed so the force is
transmitted to the pin and it doesn't slide off when struck

As they say on the shampoo bottles, if it doesn't work the first time
:"rinse, lather, repeat"

I haven't had the issue you are hacing with a gearbox,but similar fittings
to the front suspension, and it is a royal pain, sometimes the only thing
that works is to drill it out, but then you will need to find or fabricate a
new part.

Good luck,

Greg Lemon
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html