Re: [Healeys] still too hot...

To: Jeff Pelletier <jeff@pellfam.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] still too hot...
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 15:18:30 +0200
Jeff,

What size is the electric fan, where is the thermoswitch positioned and
what are the switching temperatures?
The story about inhibiting airflow through the radiator is B..S.. as it
will turn in the airflow. There is only the small area of the fan motor
that may cause some disturbance.

I like to run my engines fairly hot, on most LBC engines I use switching
temperatures from the electric fan of around 96:C on and around 89:C off
when the thermoswitch is positioned in the cilinder head, thermostat
cover, water pump, top radiator hose or in the top radiator tank. If the
switch is in the bottom tank I would use switching temperatures of about
15-20:C lower. Also fit a manual override switch.
The engine's thermostat is best chosen between 80:C and 86:C in this set up.

On all cars I own and have owned with fixed fans, I removed them and
fitted electric fans controlled by a thermoswitch (Triumph Spitfire,
Renault 4, Jensen Healey, Landrover SIII etc). It is the only practical
(and cheap) solution in modern traffic.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL