Re: [Healeys] still too hot...

To: Ron Mitchell <healeyron@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] still too hot...
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 22:21:41 +0200
If this situation has emerged recently, check your temp gauge for
correct indicating, remove the sensor and insert in an electric kettle
with boiling water, compare the reading of the gauge with the boiling
point of water: 100:C.  Normal operating temperature should be around
80-90:C using an 80:C thermostat.
Running an engine at lower temperatures is not a good idea, either slow
or fast driving. All is well as long as it does not boil at any moment.
Check for binding brakes.
Check ignition timing and mixture. If that is OK have the head gasket
pressure tested.
If no results there must be insufficient flow of coolant. Several causes
for that:
-Slack fan belt
-incorrect water pump
-Partially blocked radiator, back flushing with caustic soda or
otherwise is pretty useless when a radiator is partially blocked or
badly scaled. Renew core. Perhaps the radiator is blocked by debris from
the engine. Was the engine back flushed after using caustic soda to
clean out the engine and block??
-Partially blocked, faulty or incorrect thermostat
-Collapsed radiator hose
-Blocked coolant passages in cylinder head or engine block

If this situation also presented itself when the radiator core was
changed, you probably have been conned. Resprayed only radiator or
faulty core fitted.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html