Re: [Healeys] Oil Changes

To: healey.nut@gmail.com, eyera3@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Changes
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 07:30:52 EDT
In a message dated 9/13/10 4:03:05 AM, healey.nut@gmail.com writes:

> Bulk oil should be just fine, as long as you add some ZDDP.  The main
> thing with oil is that you change it with some regularity.  Since bulk
> oil won't have sufficient ZDDP levels in it, you have to compensate
> for that.
>
> At the end of the day, oil is oil.  I don't think any particular
> brand, honestly, is any better than another as long as the weights are
> correct for your car and you change it regularly.

Any regular oil in 10W40 or 15W50 grade will be fine. Preferences usually
run to Valvoline VR1 "racing oil" or Castrol (has two different types in
those viscosities, both of which would be fine) both of which were on the
shelves at my middle-of-the-road auto supply store. The critical thing is the
weight. Not only do you need the heavier weight, but since newer cars can't
use
that weight, the oil companies can continue to sell oil in those weights
with sufficient ZDDP in it to take care of our old-technology engines. Bulk
oil
is probably all right, provided it is high-viscosity -- 10-40 or 15-50.
However, the amount of money you would save per year, relative to the cost of
an engine rebuild doesn't seem to justify any uncertainty.

CAUTION: this doesn't apply to the first start-up and the first 500 miles
on a newly-rebuilt engine with a new cam. For these purposes your engine
builder should be using a high-ZDDP break-in oil in conjunction with
molybdenum
assembly grease.

Gary
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html