[Healeys] oil leak

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] oil leak
From: Wayne Schultz <waschu2@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 19:28:17 -0400
  Hi everyone,

                           My friend shipped his 62 3000 Healey back
from England recently and has it at my house to look at some damage done
while loading it into the container.  The damage seems to be limited to
the stainless muffler being cracked and flattened and damage to the rear
shroud lip and trunk floor.  The perplexing part is that the car is now
leaving dinner plate size oil leaks after a short drive.  The leak is
from the bell housing drain hole and the seam between the bell housing
and the engine back plate. The gearbox oil is very clean and the engine
oil is pretty dirty as is the oil leaking on the floor, so I suspect the
leak is from the engine. The oil pan is clean and dry with no leaks
noted.  Anyone have any ideas what shipping the car in a container might
have to do with this leak? The car was used in England daily and never
had any leaks and now the very first drive after shipping it back to the
US it had this severe leak.  I checked the engine breather and it is clear.

                                         Regards

                                          Wayne
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html