Re: [Healeys] Oil Leak

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Leak
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:17:08 EDT
The behavior you describe: significant leak of engine oil from the tranny
bell housing, is consistent with a badly damaged rear opening where the
crankshaft exits the engine block/sump (there's no seal back there; it depends
on
a few thou' tolerance and an archimedes screw to keep the oil in the sump.
I'm betting there's oil everywhere the car's been driven.
Strongly suggest your friend report the damage to the shipper and his
insurance company immediately, then have a reputable shop look at it --
probably
have to pull the tranny to check out the crank opening, but with the other
damages, sounds as if the car could have fallen when the loading ramps
collapsed while the car was being loaded (don't ask me why I can visualize this
scene.).
You could be looking at significant expense to get a real oil seal
installed in the rear of the engine, plus checking the crank to make sure it's
still
straight -- and the bearings are still in alignment.
Might be a good time to think about an engine rebuild if the car's got lots
of miles and the insurance company is willing to come through on the amount
of damage that likely was done.

Gary
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html