Re: [Healeys] Pennsylvania

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Pennsylvania
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 09:33:55 -0500
Joe,
I know that your comment was tongue-in-check, but made me wonder.
Pennsylvania means Penn's Woods as the state was chartered to William
Penn by the King of England early in our country's history.  I'm not
sure what Transylvania means.
It is a state of around 45,000 square miles with a good sized population
anchored at the east and west by the largest cities, Philadelphia and
Pittsburgh.  In between the two large cities are a bunch of smaller
cities and towns including the capital, Harrisburg, which is situated on
the Susquehanna River which runs from upstate New York to the Chesapeake
Bay.  So we are no strangers to places with weird names.  In Lancaster
County we have the towns named Intercourse and Bird in Hand along with a
bunch of Amish folk and covered bridges.  The topography is rolling
hills to small mountains with the Pocono and Appalachian mountain ranges
running through the state.
Out in the western part of the state is Pittsburgh which is at the
intersection of the Allegheny and Monogahela Rivers where they form the
Ohio River.
There is much that had to do with the history of our country here with
the Declaration of Independence being signed in Philadelphia in 1776.
Our first constitution, The Articles of Confederation were signed in
York in 1779, using the term United States of America for the first time
in an official document.  Here in York, we feel that that makes us the
first capital of the United States, though many from the bigger cities
disagree.  There are some Revolutionary War forts preserved across the
state and other places like Gettysburg that became famous because of the
Civil War.
Climate wise we enjoy four definite seasons, though winter is one that I
enjoy less each year.
Charlie