Re: [Healeys] 2.6 engine rebuild

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 2.6 engine rebuild
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 09:40:05 -0800
Instead of making my usual knee-jerk response, I thought and slept on this and
finally pinpointed what really bugs me
about Martin's posts (besides the fact he seems to twist every thread he
participates in into a not-too-subtle plug for
his products).

It's his strong implication--yes, I've re-read his last few posts and it's
there--that we're all negligent because we're
not driving 'safe' modern cars and therefore we're putting all the diligent,
informed and highly-skilled other
drivers--the ones that are so good they can shave/apply makeup, eat a burger
and talk and text while they're driving--at
risk.  The only solution, of course, is to buy a Jule chassis and install it
before driving your Healey again.

I thoroughly dispute that notion.  The risk of my BJ8's chassis cracking in two
is, I suspect, significantly less than a
Toyota--driven by a member of  the 'my car is safe because it has airbags'
contingent--getting a stuck accelerator pedal
and plowing into a squad of Girl Scouts in a crosswalk.  I don't have stats,
but my risk-analysis skills--comes from
flying airplanes as well as driving unsafe older cars--tell me so.  If my BJ8's
chassis does spontaneously disintegrate
odds are it's only me and my passenger that will suffer.

Kees is right, obviously.  If your chassis is shot, you can either attempt to
repair it or get an original (not likely)
or new replacement.  For a Healey, I'd take Rich's advice (always) and get a
Kilmartin, or other, that is new, has
better metal and retains the the original appearance.

To take this a step further, we're all negligent because we haven't replaced
our ancient, socially irresponsible Healey
chassis with friction-welded titanium space frames.  All the others, Martin's
included, are simply not politically correct.

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html