[Healeys] Rotor Bolts

Subject: [Healeys] Rotor Bolts
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:32:09 -0700
My P2 BJ8 has bolts holding the front hubs to the brake rotors.  I'd like to
check torque on the nuts occasionally
(yearly), but the bolts turn.  It occurred to me that I could tack MIG weld the
heads to the rotors on the backside.  I
mentioned this on the Forum and a racer said he tried it on the rear studs and
the studs failed almost immediately and
he lost a wheel.  He attributed the failure to the heat from welding.

Anyone tried this on front bolts?  Recommendations for/against using Grade 8
(or Grade 5) bolts?  I wouldn't want to gas
weld the bolt heads, but it seems to me MIG tacks would keep the heat more
localized and not cause embrittlement but,
obviously, there are potentially serious possible consequences.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net