Re: [Healeys] 54 BN1 Barn Car

To: healeys@autox.team.net, michael.bowie@fivepointsix.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 54 BN1 Barn Car
From: Jim LeBlanc <jim_leblanc@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 10:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
Let me offer an opinion on restoration cost and car value.

Cost to restore is about 1000 hours times labor rate. Then add parts and
materials. So I would expect at about $75 per hour and $15K parts and
materials to spend about $90K at a shop. Watch eBay auctions for resale value
after a restore.

>From what you describe here is what I would do. I would try to keep the car
original as much as possible. This result requires artistic effort. Replace
what you must, like the interior and electricals. Patching paint or repainting
will require artistic effort and cheap paint. The result will cost less than
above and be just as collectable. Some argue that original looking cars are
more collectable/more valuable.

>From my experience, restoring a car to perfection and keeping it that way can
be fun and much work. In contrast keeping a car in original appearing
condition can be just as much fun and less of a concern to park in a parking
lot while having breakfast.

I have owned my '56 100-M since 1983 with a full restore done by Tom Colby at
Speedwell during 1990 to 1992. The car remains near perfect and gets about 200
miles per year.

Best Regards,

Jim LeBlanc
1956 100-M (factory documented)