Re: [Healeys] Pinion Shaft

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Pinion Shaft
From: Bob Brown <blkbt7@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:14:07 -0700 (PDT)
Follow-up

The shaft was a 3/4" 24 TPI. We called a local machine shop looking to borrow
or
rent a die. The shop did not have that size but did suggest another nearby
shop.
For just $17 a die was purchased, cleaned up the shaft and the nut went on by
hand.

Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully the leaking seal is no more.

Bob

________________________________

Whoa you guys.. there are thread files at the tool store to restore
threads.. they're ~ $20.00 and work great.

Dunno offhand--something like a 3/4" SAE 'fine,' I imagine (measure diameter
with calipers and TPI with a thread pitch gauge)--but it might be hard to
find a die that size anyway (big $$$, probably).

Try taking a triangular file and filing 3-4 grooves perpendicular to the
threads in your old nut (if it's not too bunged-up); i.e. make a homemade
die. Clean up the starter thread on the pinion best you can with a jeweler's
file--if you can get your homemade die started you've got a chance. Use some
oil and work your homemade die back-and-forth (don't just torque it on).
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html