Re: [Healeys] Brake problem

To: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake problem
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:01:07 -0400
Cc: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=1+v2CpcARrjmX1LX+aMES6G7MV8Qw6xCU1uM45G1NBY=; b=psflBJXoVzc4SEo+qPSGd7c2xloZ0dE40QGh1jdvxB+WWn5SMj+5WUW4wsIEOHns2D 82kw45nUb+kyTFaQ/k+a2t6bywL19fAc5QtaBFFCCEDcQljXC05hwT+Lh+bF8iT23WpP ivREvnP5ZpydaNKzM0ZsoTSfMCwnEXOnWjQPBGDBkGQnbvu7oz2E7vkz8k8GzmhKct1N 9ej9UbivJAxmRlYEF0wC8fF1+KkPK8jPK7+mANVO5eptjtz4YshgPY0NSpLiwNNI7uFR L7OTwFVTZ8nrV19fb/AbRGeyOtoU08TkFQHvkB333pzbudOjHL7XUV6aRfOFBDfz5xJ9 lX9g==
Sender: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net
Hi Michael,
My guess would be that the master cylinder seal is starting to fail.
You will probably find that if you press VERY gently on the pedal it will
ever so slowly go to the floor as fluid bypasses the seal.
If you stomp on the pedal it will work normally.
What happens in these cases is that the fluid pressure on the downside of
the seal presses the seal lip in and makes it seal against the piston, if
you apply pressure very slowly the pressure does not build up in the system
quickly enough to press the seal lip in to the piston and the fluid flows
past the seal and back to the reservoir.

--
Michael Salter

        Check My Blog
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/