[Healeys] Brake problem

To: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Brake problem
From: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 07:17:08 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=CoyE9tukHsfYAchEiky3KFUD9Qu4M0WbCUlmwZSe2OY=; b=IhoFFNDvJbCNI2HiCy/JC89MzhPd9tpCLY9FMWlvsy+M+l929vM1OHLHQW6zTZcvXV Vp8SPFeTgd2btPbkDS/EKWW6cqx6/ADwKMDFXvdvK7YghDngqLOAlguBG7XSkQEkrSit ep5+kcuc7ebV6FMe867KpeVjjGoxu657InJLnLnowzGR8GeGoaS3dT62blln/EKf97Jv WV4+kTr2paoPe3BkDN5IFPbkAe4879G4W4/a9JdButrGHA8PSQKc1meFSCiMkZjWk4D3 MdT7eZlnibSQS8lYpoTsnoAw/cKDvTHTkFtLQNKLvjICv73p0b0xJ7SSHO6IMlAug/iv jktQ==
Sender: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net
Yesterday while returning from a ride in the 100 I applied the brakes and
the pedal went to the floor--fortunately the emergency brake slowed me down
enough that I could negotiate the upcoming turn and come to a stop.

After a few deep breaths I stepped on the brake pedal--this time it was
normal and the brakes functioned seemingly fine. I checked the hydraulic
fluid reservoir and it was full. I was less than a mile from the garage so
returned slowly though the brakes continued to work fine and got me back.

In the garage I applied the brakes a few more times, all normal except for
one time when I held my foot on the pedal it and it went slowly to the
floor like I was pushing fluid out somewhere through a very small leak but
there were no leaks. Next push the brake pedal was high and firm. Retested
several times at 15 to 30 minute intervals--no problems, but obviously
something is wrong here!

I haven't pulled the master cylinder off and apart yet but am thinking that
the return valve is somehow hanging up. FWIW I have a BT7 discs in front
and drums in back and a single circuit setup with a valve in the rear brake
line which serves as a poor man's proportional setup.

Thoughts?

Best--Michael Oritt