[Healeys] Electric Cooling Fan

Subject: [Healeys] Electric Cooling Fan
From: coudesluijs at chello.nl (Oudesluys)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 09:16:55 +0200
Get the biggest fan you can fit to the core. These fans that fit
straight to the core have been around for years and do not seem to harm
the radiator but they have to fit properly and be securely, but not over
tight,  fastened. Very simple and easy. Fit the thermo switch in a T
piece with M20 thread fitted in the top hose or have an M20 adaptor
soldered in the header tank of the radiator. Make sure that al coolant
hoses are in perfect condition and remove the standard fan altogether.
Play around with various temperature ranges for the thermoswitch and the
thermostat. You can use a sleeved thermostat with a higher opening temp
of say 82 or 86 degrees C, for better and more efficient running of the
engine, with a thermoswitch that cuts in at around 92 degrees C and cuts
out at around 87 degrees or 96/92 respectively. You could go higher
without any trouble, even in hot weather. I presently run my JH on a
thermostat of 89 degrees, with a 96/102 degrees thermo switch with a
10lbs cap and have had no problems at all driving in the very dense
local traffic (jams) in very hot weather (35 degrees C). I use silicon
hoses throughout.
There are hundreds of M20 threaded thermoswitches to choose from. Make
sure that the radiator cap seals airtight using a thin rubber washer
between the filler neck and the stainless steel or brass seal in the cap
and use an expansion vessel with the hose going right to the bottom or
entering the bottom to suck back the coolant when the engine cools down.
Also use a 10-15 lbs radiator cap to prevent local boiling.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

--
Kees Oudesluijs
Dorpsstraat 183
E: coudesluijs at chello.nl

Technische commissie Jensen Healey en GT
Het Jensen Genootschap Holland
www.jensenholland.nl