Re: [Healeys] Electric Cooling Fan

To: Jack Feldman <qualitas.jack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Electric Cooling Fan
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 09:16:55 +0200
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
Sender: healeys-bounces@autox.team.net
Get the biggest fan you can fit to the core. These fans that fit straight to the core have been around for years and do not seem to harm the radiator but they have to fit properly and be securely, but not over tight, fastened. Very simple and easy. Fit the thermo switch in a T piece with M20 thread fitted in the top hose or have an M20 adaptor soldered in the header tank of the radiator. Make sure that al coolant hoses are in perfect condition and remove the standard fan altogether. Play around with various temperature ranges for the thermoswitch and the thermostat. You can use a sleeved thermostat with a higher opening temp of say 82 or 86 degrees C, for better and more efficient running of the engine, with a thermoswitch that cuts in at around 92 degrees C and cuts out at around 87 degrees or 96/92 respectively. You could go higher without any trouble, even in hot weather. I presently run my JH on a thermostat of 89 degrees, with a 96/102 degrees thermo switch with a 10lbs cap and have had no problems at all driving in the very dense local traffic (jams) in very hot weather (35 degrees C). I use silicon hoses throughout. There are hundreds of M20 threaded thermoswitches to choose from. Make sure that the radiator cap seals airtight using a thin rubber washer between the filler neck and the stainless steel or brass seal in the cap and use an expansion vessel with the hose going right to the bottom or entering the bottom to suck back the coolant when the engine cools down. Also use a 10-15 lbs radiator cap to prevent local boiling.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL