Re: [Healeys] New Tyres

To: Tim Ward <timwarduk@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] New Tyres
From: Curtis Arndt <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 11:35:15 -0700
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--e89a8f3ba68579947b05116c1c85

Tim,

How you can up with this decision is beyond me. First of all, the car being
front or rear wheel drive is totally IRRELEVANT.

Reference this article on the PM website on tire myths debunked...

*2. When replacing only two tires
<http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/what-you-need-to-know-when-buying-new-tires-9451125>,
the new ones go on the front... FALSE*

The truth: Rear tires provide stability, and without stability, steering or
braking on a wet or even damp surface might cause a spin. If you have new
tires up front, they will easily disperse water while the half-worn rears
will go surfing: The water will literally lift the worn rear tires off the
road. If you're in a slight corner or on a crowned road, the car will spin
out so fast you won't be able to say, "Oh, fudge!"

There is no "even if" to this one. *Whether you own a front-, rear- or
all-wheel-drive car, truck, or SUV, the tires with the most tread go on the
rear*. Don't believe it? Watch this <http://youtu.be/--Hb5kQCaTg>.

This is just as important with a tire blowout or failure as it is with
hydroplaning.  Better to have a blowout on the front wheels versus the rear.

Drive safe.

Curt

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 4:04 AM, Tim Ward <timwarduk@aol.com> wrote:

> Hi
> Thank you to all those who replied to my question.
>
> On the balance of replies I shall put the new Tyres on the front. I would
> rather deal with a rear failure than a front failure.
>
> I shall also take the advice of several people and will be checking the
> age/condition of the remaining two tyres and replacing them if necessary.
>
> All the best
>
> Tim
>
> Tim Ward
> Warwick House
> 12 Mill Road
> Kislingbury
> NN7 4BB
> Tel: 07855 388 751
>
> http://www.shuttermagic.co.uk/
> http://www.kislingburyonline.co.uk/index.php

color:rgb(0,0,0)"><a href=3D"http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/re=
pair/what-you-need-to-know-when-buying-new-tires-9451125">replacing only tw=
n></p><p>The
 truth: Rear tires provide stability, and without stability, steering or
 braking on a wet or even damp surface might cause a spin. If you have=20
new tires up front, they will easily disperse water while the half-worn=20
rears will go surfing: The water will literally lift the worn rear tires
 off the road. If you&#39;re in a slight corner or on a crowned road, the=
=20
car will spin out so fast you won&#39;t be able to say, &quot;Oh, fudge!&qu=
ot;</p><p>There
 is no &quot;even if&quot; to this one. <u>Whether you own a front-, rear- =
or=20
all-wheel-drive car, truck, or SUV, the tires with the most tread go on=20
the rear</u>. Don&#39;t believe it? <a href=3D"http://youtu.be/--Hb5kQCaTg"=
ire blowout or failure as it is with hydroplaning.=C2=A0 Better to have a b=
">On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 4:04 AM, Tim Ward <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:timwarduk@aol.com"; target=3D"_blank">timwarduk@aol.com</a>&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8e=
x;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi<br>
Thank you to all those who replied to my question.<br>
On the balance of replies I shall put the new Tyres on the front. I would<b=
r>
rather deal with a rear failure than a front failure.<br>
I shall also take the advice of several people and will be checking the<br>
age/condition of the remaining two tyres and replacing them if necessary.<b=
r>
All the best<br>
Tim<br>
Tim Ward<br>