Re: [Healeys] Missing under Load

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Missing under Load
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 12:24:14 +0200
--===============3989785190195542138==
 boundary="------------030904020007090100070404"

--------------030904020007090100070404

Two things,
You see sparks at no. 6 plug lead near the distr. cap. NOT GOOD.
You also mention that the petrol looks cloudy. Could be contaminated
with water, dirt, diesel, to much alcohol/ethanol. Some older tank
coatings do not like alcohol/ethanol and dissolve/react. Drain and fill
up at a petrol station with a high turnover.
Also check if the petrol pump delivers enough pressure and volume.

Kees Oudesluijs

R. Price Lindsay schreef op 3-6-2015 om 2:55:
> Until recently my BJ8 has run like a champ.  I now have a slight
> hesitation/miss on acceleration in all gears and when standing still.
>  I have cleaned the carbs (some black silt was in the bowls) and
> re-tuned the engine a couple of times as well as changed the plug
> wires and cap last night.  The engine ran like a top when I went to bed.
>
> Not being one to leave good enough alone I decided to check and see if
> it was the distributor cap or the plugs that were the problem (I
> thought it had to be one of the two).  So this morning I put the old
> wires into the new cap, started it up and it ran rough.  I then tried
> the new wires in the old cap, started it up and it ran rough.  So I
> returned everything to how it was last night and now it runs rough
> with everything the same as last night.  Goblins must have gotten in
> there over the night, I guess.
>
> Anyway, I?ve read the archives and tried most of the suggestions.
>  Today I removed the fuel filter, no difference although there was a
> bit of the black silt in the filter and the fuel looked cloudy (never
> had this before, it?s always been clear - byw, silt was in the carb
> bowls as well).  I looked at the distributer and plug wires in the
> dark, and there was some light at the location of plug No. 6.  When I
> put my finger behind the left exhaust pipe I got only very hot air.
>  When I placed my finger behind the right exhaust pipe I got a
> fluttering sound.  I?ve put in 2 new rotors, no change.
>
> 1. The coil is probably 15 years (10,000 miles) old.  I would test it
> but I don?t really know how.  Any suggestions on how to test the coil???
>
> 2. I don?t want to jump to any conclusions, BUT, the miss started
> maybe 50 miles after filling up at a discount gas station (there was
> little choice).  Could the gas I put in be the culprit causing issues
> somewhere down line from the tank, i.e. clogging the fuel pumps (do
> they have internal filters - I don?t know)???  I?ve read about the
> lining of tanks dissolving and causing issues. *_If_* the fuel I put
> in was high in ethanol, for example, could it dissolve the tank
> lining?  Is the residue from a dissolving tank lining a fine silt like
> product or something else?
>
> I really appreciate any light you can throw on this and empathize with
> those that have preceded me with this kind of problem.  It is totally
> frustrating!!
>

> Price Lindsay
> 67 BJ8

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl

--------------030904020007090100070404

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      You see sparks at no. 6 plug lead near the distr. cap. NOT GOOD.<br>
      You also mention that the petrol looks cloudy. Could be
      contaminated with water, dirt, diesel, to much alcohol/ethanol.
      Some older tank coatings do not like alcohol/ethanol and
      dissolve/react. Drain and fill up at a petrol station with a high
      turnover.<br>
      Also check if the petrol pump delivers enough pressure and volume.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      R. Price Lindsay schreef op 3-6-2015 om 2:55:<br>
      cite="mid:94EFF10C-5A58-4DF0-9B34-B1EF539F7DD5@gmail.com"
      type="cite">
[...]
          suggestions on how to test the coil???  </div>
          the miss started maybe 50 miles after filling up at a discount
          gas station (there was little choice).  Could the gas I put in
          be the culprit causing issues somewhere down line from the
          tank, i.e. clogging the fuel pumps (do they have internal
          filters - I don?t know)???  I?ve read about the lining of
          tanks dissolving and causing issues.  <b class=""><u
class="">If</u></b>
          the fuel I put in was high in ethanol, for example, could it
          dissolve the tank lining?  Is the residue from a dissolving
          tank lining a fine silt like product or something else?</div>
          this and empathize with those that have preceded me with this
          kind of problem.  It is totally frustrating!!</div>
                class="Apple-interchange-newline">
              Price Lindsay<br class="">
              67 BJ8<br class="">
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"