Re: [Healeys] Missing under Load

To: "R. Price Lindsay" <050.rpl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Missing under Load
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 10:24:16 +0800
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--047d7b2e4af04cf3960517a7df57

As a final note on this, I have had the little floating graphite rotor
contact in the cap fail on me as well, no way to tell really except swap
out the cap.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are running suppressed modern wires into your standard Lucas cap,
> you can have huge problems, as the graphite type materials they use in
> these don't like connecting to the screw connector in the Lucas cap .  Yo=
> need to use metal core wires, such as bumble bee wire.
>
> Also did you check distributor shaft wobble?  If your dizzy bushes are
> worn, and you have excessive wobble, you could also be having similar
> problems.
>
> Lastly, check internal wires/insulating washers in the dizzy make sure it
> is all kosher.
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM, R. Price Lindsay <050.rpl@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Took the BJ8 out today.  Changed the plug wire to #6 (there was a visibl=
>> spark last night).  The car struggled big time  Had to change rotors eve=
ry
>> 3 miles in order to get the car home.  Driving along and all of a sudden
>> backfire, black smoke, nothing.  Changed the rotor (it was noticeably ho=
t)
>> and got another 2 or 3 miles out of it.  Looked tonight in the dark and =
the
>> visible spark from number 6 plug was not there.  Talked to Jeff with
>> Advanced Distributors and he suggested it was plug wires.  Strongly
>> suggested I install points instead of the Petronics.  At his suggestion,=
>> checked the ohm reading on the plug wires and they checked out OK.  Stil=
>> wondering if it could be bad gas, I did add a product called =E2=80=9CHe=
at.=E2=80=9D
>> Supposed to absorb any water that may be in the gas tank.  Not much help=
,
>> so far.
>>
>> I=E2=80=99m waiting for the plug wires and distributor cap from Moss Mot=
ors to
>> show up to install them.  Hope that helps but not really convinced it=E2=
=80=99s the
>> solution.
>>
>> Do you guys have any words of wisdom for me?
>>
>> Price Lindsay
>> 67 BJ8

--047d7b2e4af04cf3960517a7df57

aphite rotor contact in the cap fail on me as well, no way to tell really e=
mail_quote">On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:33 AM, Alan Seigrist <span dir=3D"ltr"=
>&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healey.nut@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">healey.nut@g=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=
=3D"ltr">If you are running suppressed modern wires into your standard Luca=
s cap, you can have huge problems, as the graphite type materials they use =
in these don&#39;t like connecting to the screw connector in the Lucas cap =
.=C2=A0 You need to use metal core wires, such as bumble bee wire.<div><br>=
 bushes are worn, and you have excessive wobble, you could also be having s=
lating washers in the dizzy make sure it is all kosher.</div></div><div cla=
=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 9:24 AM, R. Price Lindsay <span dir=
=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:050.rpl@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">050.rpl=
=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Took the=
 BJ8 out today.=C2=A0 Changed the plug wire to #6 (there was a visible spar=
k last night).=C2=A0 The car struggled big time=C2=A0 Had to change rotors =
every 3 miles in order to get the car home.=C2=A0 Driving along and all of =
a sudden backfire, black smoke, nothing.=C2=A0 Changed the rotor (it was no=
ticeably hot) and got another 2 or 3 miles out of it.=C2=A0 Looked tonight =
in the dark and the visible spark from number 6 plug was not there.=C2=A0 T=
alked to Jeff with Advanced Distributors and he suggested it was plug wires=
.=C2=A0 Strongly suggested I install points instead of the Petronics.=C2=A0=
 At his suggestion, I checked the ohm reading on the plug wires and they ch=
ecked out OK.=C2=A0 Still wondering if it could be bad gas, I did add a pro=
duct called =E2=80=9CHeat.=E2=80=9D=C2=A0 Supposed to absorb any water that=
 may be in the gas tank.=C2=A0 Not much help, so far.<br>
I=E2=80=99m waiting for the plug wires and distributor cap from Moss Motors=
 to show up to install them.=C2=A0 Hope that helps but not really convinced=
 it=E2=80=99s the solution.<br>
Do you guys have any words of wisdom for me?<br>
Price Lindsay<br>
67 BJ8<br>

--047d7b2e4af04cf3960517a7df57--