[Healeys] excess oil consumption

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] excess oil consumption
From: warthodson@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 19:55:58 -0400

------=_Part_319814_1371707848.1436313358560

A friend ask me to post the following question about excess oil consumption=
 on this forum to see if anyone has any suggestions.
I know the engine has been professionally rebuilt a few years ago & the com=
pression & leak down tests recently looked "normal". No oil leaks.=20
Thanks,
Gary Hodson

I had a brief conversation with my mechanic the other day and in the next c=
ouple of weeks he will do a complete diagnosis on my Healey to try to ident=
ify why I have had so much oil consumption.  FYI, I just emptied the 6th qu=
art of oil into the engine yesterday =E2=80=93 and that is over 4,000 miles=
.  It is better than before the recent ring job, but nonetheless, is not ac=
ceptable to me.
=20
Mechanic thinks the oil loss might be due to combustion of the oil from the=
 back air cleaner that is plumbed with the valve cover.  He thinks the air =
cleaner I have on it now is somehow creating a vacuum pulling oil from the =
valve cover and injecting it back into the piston and is actually burning t=
he oil off very efficiently.  I still don=E2=80=99t have any signs of leaks=
 beneath the car nor any smoke from the tailpipe.  Quite possibly the curre=
nt Cooper air cleaners are too small and are creating this vacuum.  The Coo=
per air cleaners replaced some other chrome air cleaners the original owner=
 had on the car =E2=80=93 I don=E2=80=99t know if it was original equipment=
.
=20
Will you do me a favor and see if anyone else had a similar issue with oil =
consumption to identify a =E2=80=9Csolution=E2=80=9D that worked for them? =
 Maybe there are other thoughts that we should ask my mechanic to examine a=
s well.
=20

------=_Part_319814_1371707848.1436313358560

ut excess oil consumption on this forum to see if anyone has any suggestion=
s.</div>

a few years ago &amp; the compression &amp; leak down tests recently looked=
 "normal". No oil leaks. </div>

her day and in the next couple of weeks he will do a complete diagnosis on =
my Healey to try to identify why I have had so much oil consumption.&nbsp; =
FYI, I just emptied the 6<sup>th</sup> quart of oil into the engine yesterd=
ay =E2=80=93 and that is over 4,000 miles.&nbsp; It is better than before t=
he recent ring job, but nonetheless, is not acceptable to me.</div>

combustion of the oil from the back air cleaner that is plumbed with the va=
lve cover.&nbsp; He&nbsp;thinks the air cleaner I have on it now is somehow=
 creating a vacuum pulling oil from the&nbsp;valve cover and injecting it b=
ack into the piston and is actually burning the oil off very efficiently.&n=
bsp; I still don=E2=80=99t have any signs of leaks beneath the car nor any =
smoke from the tailpipe.&nbsp; Quite possibly the current Cooper air cleane=
rs are too small and are creating this vacuum.&nbsp; The Cooper air cleaner=
s replaced some other chrome air cleaners the original owner had on the car=
 =E2=80=93 I don=E2=80=99t know if it was original equipment.</div>

a similar issue with oil consumption to identify a =E2=80=9Csolution=E2=80=
=9D that worked for them?&nbsp; Maybe there are other thoughts that we shou=
ld ask my mechanic to examine as well.</div>

------=_Part_319814_1371707848.1436313358560--