Re: [Healeys] excess oil consumption

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl> s=q20140121; t=1436439573; bh=xQwr3zX0NTJ9Zjd24D7O3P74xGSMG2FHyba8nrwQeOo=; h=Received:Received:Content-Type:Mime-Version:Subject:From:Date: Message-Id:To; b=q0gAULz0dnl5K9dV9G5fByFpJCPsuaZPVKtaoSMWc7xBaFKPQjbt9kSJfekTZmjwa Q98CIOalKRbHBa9v319yl3oSLgMScc0zftVr2QuxgsCgTjqKT5opM3Kzlu2EMeN6By Izt/xc/ewU56FW4a+WwLIIdHLKqAxjq28LcFM9JjBv7Ts2xfB3f8CJ/K8wiWp00A+C No3OcAeybwfJ/iLYYuvQ4f97ujv+hldi9otzlQojNYTSjieCB3iHeeOMfIUOUgFpUD sPRxGP6dYKEBi19u5njm+z8OZi6itStfCzoIP2vst7R1h62H2pSEbLpX8Gzy2kykzy AFv9djQInLTig==
Subject: Re: [Healeys] excess oil consumption
From: Mitch Simmons <Dayton21@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 06:59:31 -0400
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-F7E3CEF3-D730-4256-9192-0A221CCDA960
        charset=utf-8

If u have a pcv installed as per the Nock s version. What are the negatives?=
 will it suck oil into the intake? Could there be too much vacuum and harm s=
eals gaskets etc. ??     Mitch. 66 bj8

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 8, 2015, at 2:36 AM, Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl> wrote:
>=20
> 6 quarts over 4000mls does not sound to bad for an old design British engi=
ne. It also depends how the rebuild was done.
> The main reasons for oil consumption, apart from leaking, are wear of bore=
s/pistons/rings, valve guide wear and blocked/dirty crank case breathing sys=
tem.
> Check and clean the crankcase ventilation system first. Check for wear in t=
he valve guides. Check the compression with a hot engine.=20
> That the engine was professionally rebuild does not mean anything, it depe=
nds who has done the job. It is also peculiar that after a rebuild a few yea=
rs ago, a ring job was needed not so long ago!!!!!?????
>=20
> Kees Oudesluijs
> =20
> It is very unlikely that the air filters have something to do with the oil=
 consumption. There is no vacuum to speak of created there, unless they are t=
otally blocked or are absolutely tiny.=20
>=20
> ^qwarthodson@aol.com schreef op 8-7-2015 om 1:55:
>> A friend ask me to post the following question about excess oil consumpti=
on on this forum to see if anyone has any suggestions.
>> I know the engine has been professionally rebuilt a few years ago & the c=
ompression & leak down tests recently looked "normal". No oil leaks.
>> Thanks,
>> Gary Hodson
>> =20
>> I had a brief conversation with my mechanic the other day and in the next=
 couple of weeks he will do a complete diagnosis on my Healey to try to iden=
tify why I have had so much oil consumption.  FYI, I just emptied the 6th qu=
art of oil into the engine yesterday =E2=80=93 and that is over 4,000 miles.=
  It is better than before the recent ring job, but nonetheless, is not acce=
ptable to me.
>> =20
>> Mechanic thinks the oil loss might be due to combustion of the oil from t=
he back air cleaner that is plumbed with the valve cover.  He thinks the air=
 cleaner I have on it now is somehow creating a vacuum pulling oil from the v=
alve cover and injecting it back into the piston and is actually burning the=
 oil off very efficiently.  I still don=E2=80=99t have any signs of leaks be=
neath the car nor any smoke from the tailpipe.  Quite possibly the current C=
ooper air cleaners are too small and are creating this vacuum.  The Cooper a=
ir cleaners replaced some other chrome air cleaners the original owner had o=
n the car =E2=80=93 I don=E2=80=99t know if it was original equipment.
>> =20
>> Will you do me a favor and see if anyone else had a similar issue with oi=
l consumption to identify a =E2=80=9Csolution=E2=80=9D that worked for them?=
  Maybe there are other thoughts that we should ask my mechanic to examine a=
s well.
>> =20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesl=
uijs@chello.nl
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
>> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com
>> Versie: 2015.0.6081 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10182 - datum van uitgifte: 07/=
07/15
>>=20
>=20
>=20
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/dayton21=
@comcast.net
>=20

--Apple-Mail-F7E3CEF3-D730-4256-9192-0A221CCDA960
        charset=utf-8

ock s version. What are the negatives? will it suck oil into the intake? Cou=
ld there be too much vacuum and harm seals gaskets etc. ?? &nbsp; &nbsp; Mit=
M, Oudesluys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:coudesluijs@chello.nl";>coudesluijs@chello=
 =20

 =20
 =20
      bad for an old design British engine. It also depends how the
      rebuild was done.<br>
      The main reasons for oil consumption, apart from leaking, are wear
      of bores/pistons/rings, valve guide wear and blocked/dirty crank
      case breathing system.<br>
      Check and clean the crankcase ventilation system first. Check for
      wear in the valve guides. Check the compression with a hot engine.
      That the engine was professionally rebuild does not mean anything,
      it depends who has done the job. It is also peculiar that after a
      rebuild a few years ago, a ring job was needed not so long
      ago!!!!!?????<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      &nbsp;<br>
      It is very unlikely that the air filters have something to do with
      the oil consumption. There is no vacuum to speak of created there,
      unless they are totally blocked or are absolutely tiny. <br>
      ^<a href=3D"mailto:qwarthodson@aol.com";>qwarthodson@aol.com</a> schree=
f op 8-7-2015 om 1:55:<br>
ype=3D"cite">
8">
        question about excess oil consumption on this forum to see if
        anyone has any suggestions.</div>
        rebuilt a few years ago &amp; the compression &amp; leak down
        tests recently looked "normal". No oil leaks. </div>
        the other day and in the next couple of weeks he will do a
        complete diagnosis on my Healey to try to identify why I have
        had so much oil consumption.&nbsp; FYI, I just emptied the 6<sup>th<=
/sup>
        quart of oil into the engine yesterday =E2=80=93 and that is over 4,=
000
        miles.&nbsp; It is better than before the recent ring job, but
        nonetheless, is not acceptable to me.</div>
        to combustion of the oil from the back air cleaner that is
        plumbed with the valve cover.&nbsp; He&nbsp;thinks the air cleaner I=
 have
        on it now is somehow creating a vacuum pulling oil from
        the&nbsp;valve cover and injecting it back into the piston and is
        actually burning the oil off very efficiently.&nbsp; I still don=E2=80=
=99t
        have any signs of leaks beneath the car nor any smoke from the
        tailpipe.&nbsp; Quite possibly the current Cooper air cleaners are
        too small and are creating this vacuum.&nbsp; The Cooper air cleaner=
        replaced some other chrome air cleaners the original owner had
        on the car =E2=80=93 I don=E2=80=99t know if it was original equipme=
nt.</div>
        else had a similar issue with oil consumption to identify a
        =E2=80=9Csolution=E2=80=9D that worked for them?&nbsp; Maybe there a=
re other thoughts
        that we should ask my mechanic to examine as well.</div>
      <fieldset class=3D"mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre wrap=3D"">_______________________________________________
Support <a href=3D"http://Team.Net";>Team.Net</a> <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-fr=
eetext" href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate.=
html</a>
Archive: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.team.net/arch=
ive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://www.team.net/forum=
s">http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net"=
>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-freetext" href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/lis=

team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl">http://autox.team.ne=
t/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl</a>

</pre>
      <fieldset class=3D"mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
8">
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send=3D"true" href=3D"http://=
www.avg.com">www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.6081 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10182 - datum van
        uitgifte: 07/07/15</p>
 =20

et">Team.Net</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team=
bscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/day=
ton21@comcast.net">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/dayton21@co=

--Apple-Mail-F7E3CEF3-D730-4256-9192-0A221CCDA960--