Re: [Healeys] Austin-Healey Sprite on EBay -

To: Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Austin-Healey Sprite on EBay -
From: Steven Kingsbury <airtightproductions@icloud.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 15:36:33 +0000 (GMT) MailServer16E78.25278-16A-1132-e21ea0a6a8b6
Cc: AH Mail List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--Boundary_(ID_c+RRTi4up6IJixBfBoBhWw)

Jean,=0A=0AEven though I am not planning on buying this car, I wanted to s=
ay thank you for your report. It's really nice to see what this community =
will do for one another and then go all the way to provide an unsolicited =
write up about the status of a vehicle. I'd say that's going above and bey=
ond. So again, thank you for what you've done here. I wanted you to know t=
hat it is truly appreciated.=0ASteven Kingsbury=0ABN1 #598=C2=A0=0A=0A=0AO=
n Aug 26, 2016, at 05:44 AM, Jean Caron <vintage_roadster_restoration@hotm=
ail.com> wrote:=0A=0A=0A=0AI had the opportunity, last night, to view the =
1959 Austin-Healey Sprite, white in colour for sale on EBay that is locate=
d in Winnipeg.=0A=0AThe owner is a friendly guy that is not trying to hide=
 anything about the car. He was forthcoming about the shortcomings of the =
car and while the photos on EBay look pretty decent, there are areas where=
 issues would surface rather quickly.=0A=0AHe told me that a previous owne=
r attach a homemade floor on the driver side, over the original one that w=
ould be the portion in front of the outer crossmember. He said that this f=
loor portion is "soft" read rusty.=0A=0A=0AThe outer sills have not been r=
eplaced, just patched so likely a fair amount of rust is covered by paint =
right now. I noted on the inner fenders and inside the bonnet a tar like s=
ubstance that appears to have been painted over, not sure why this would n=
ot have been sanded and then these areas painted and I did not ask why, to=
 me it was obvious that this was either done quickly to sell the vehicle o=
r a poor amateur job. The turnbuckles that would hold the top just behind =
the doors are missing on both sides, a small item but why would one not pu=
rchase something like that. Same goes for small rubber items in the engine=
 compartment that have simply not be replaced when removed.=0A=0AIt was ge=
tting dark when I looked at the car although the lights of the parking lot=
 revealed that the paint applied was pretty patchy, the owner claimed that=
 it needed a good polish but I feel that the paint job was done in a backy=
ard.=0A=0A=0AThe car ran fine but the owner said it is burning oil, so a r=
ebuilt would not be too far off. He also said that he has a 1275cc engine =
that will be offered for purchase to whoever wants to buy the car.=0A=0AI =
am of the opinion that, although I did a very preliminary overall check on=
 this car, while it looks like a decent deal when just looking at the phot=
os, I believe that it hides a fair amount of rust and that whoever is cons=
idering purchasing this car would be prudent to really investigate it furt=
her before spending the money asked.=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0AJean=0A=0A=0A_______=

--Boundary_(ID_c+RRTi4up6IJixBfBoBhWw)
 boundary="Boundary_(ID_8O/nxx7F/rA/fzuOEFLVkw)"; type="text/html"

--Boundary_(ID_8O/nxx7F/rA/fzuOEFLVkw)

this car,=
 I wanted to say thank you for your report. It's really nice to see what t=
his community will do for one another and then go all the way to provide a=
n unsolicited write up about the status of a vehicle. I'd say that's going=
 above and beyond. So again, thank you for what you've done here. I wanted=
 you to know that it is truly appreciated.</div><div>Steven Kingsbury</div=
16, at 05:44 AM, Jean Caron &lt;vintage_roadster_restoration@hotmail.com&g=
ir=3D"ltr"><div id=3D"divtagdefaultwrapper" style=3D"font-size: 12pt; colo=
r: #000000; background-color: #ffffff; font-family: Calibri,Arial,Helvetic=
a,sans-serif;" data-mce-style=3D"font-size: 12pt; color: #000000; backgrou=
nd-color: #ffffff; font-family: Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;"><p>I =
had the opportunity, last night, to view the 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite, wh=
ite in colour for sale on EBay that is located in Winnipeg.</p><p>The owne=
r is a friendly guy that is not trying to hide anything about the car. He =
was forthcoming about the shortcomings of the car and while the photos on =
EBay look pretty decent, there are areas where issues would surface rather=
 quickly.</p><p>He told me that a previous owner attach a homemade floor o=
n the driver side, over the original one that would be the portion in fron=
t of the outer crossmember. He said that this floor portion is "soft" read=
 likely a fair amount of rust is covered by paint right now. I noted on th=
e inner fenders and inside the bonnet a tar like substance that appears to=
 have been painted over, not sure why this would not have been sanded and =
then these areas painted and I did not ask why, to me it was obvious that =
this was either done quickly to sell the vehicle or a poor amateur job. Th=
e turnbuckles that would hold the top just behind the doors are missing on=
 both sides, a small item but why would one not purchase something like th=
at. Same goes for small rubber items in the engine compartment that have s=
imply not be replaced when removed.</p><p>It was getting dark when I looke=
d at the car although the lights of the parking lot revealed that the pain=
t applied was pretty patchy, the owner claimed that it needed a good polis=
 ran fine but the owner said it is burning oil, so a rebuilt would not be =
too far off. He also said that he has a 1275cc engine that will be offered=
 for purchase to whoever wants to buy the car.</p><p>I am of the opinion t=
tretch"><span class=3D"body-text-content">________________________________=
_______________<br>Support <a href=3D"http://Team.Net"; data-mce-href=3D"ht=
tp://Team.Net">Team.Net</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; da=
ta-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html";>http://www.team.net/donate=
//www.team.net/archive" data-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive";>http=
://www.team.net/archive</a><br>Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/foru=
ms" data-mce-href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forum=
ilto:Healeys@autox.team.net">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br><a href=3D"http=
ilman/options/healeys/airtightproductions@icloud.com" data-mce-href=3D"htt=
p://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/airtightproductions@icloud.com"=
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/airtightproductions@icloud.=
"text/css">.msg-quote P {margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;}=0A</style><=