[Healeys] BN6 Overdrive

Subject: [Healeys] BN6 Overdrive
From: nmcd10 at gmail.com (Neil McDonald)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 11:05:18 +0000
Yesterday I wrote "I have concluded that the most likely cause of my problems
are low OD fluid levels and/or inadequate opening of the actuating valve. Both
I can  readily deal with."

In off line discussions with Steve Byers I have added a third and ominous
possibility, a defective accumulator. The good hydraulic pressure already
confirmed only indicates that the pump is OK because testing was not done while
trying to engage the OD. My understanding is that OD engagement is the
accumulator's function and the pump's role is to pressurise the accumulator for
this task before OD engagement. A definitive test of accumulator condition
seems to be how well it holds pressure after the engine is switched off!
Neil McDonald

Email: nmcd10 at gmail.com