[Healeys] FW: BN4 - 100/6 front suspension

Subject: [Healeys] FW: BN4 - 100/6 front suspension
From: michael.salter at gmail.com (michael.salter at gmail.com)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 15:21:20 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Les,

I may be "preaching to the converted " here but...

In order to determine which spring(s) are at fault it is necessary to test the
ride height of each end of the car in isolation to prevent a problem at one end
affecting the other.

To do this for the front, on a flat surface, jack the center of the diff (under
the drain plug), remove the rear wheels then lower the rear to normal ride
height. This produces a 3 point support.

 Bounce the front a couple of times to ensure that the front suspension units
are operating correctly then measure the ride height both between the frame
rails and the ground and the tops of the front fender arches and the ground.

Repeat for the rear using a piece of pipe placed axially under the front cross
member.

In my experience it usually the rear springs that are at fault.

Michael S

BN1 #174

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 10:03 AM -0500, "Bob Haskell" <rchaskell at
earthlink.net> wrote:

Jon & Les,

Installed height of the springs the same?

Were the front A arm inboard mounting bolts tightened with the car
sitting flat on the ground (normal ride height)?

How's the back of the car?  It's not pitching the right front nose
downward, right?

Cheers,

Bob Haskell
AHCA 3000 MkI registrar