[Healeys] FW: BN4 - 100/6 front suspension

Subject: [Healeys] FW: BN4 - 100/6 front suspension
From: austinhealeyslist at gmail.com (Austin Healeys List)
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 09:46:05 +1300
Same issue on my BN4, problem was a buildup of several things:
one is measuring from the front guard lip is the wrong place to do it
as the left side is up to an inch higher than the right due to
manufacturing variances. Measure up to the chassis frame either side
(stack of 4 by 2s works for this) and then measure up to a straight
stick across the wing beadings rather than the guard lips.

Secondly the rear spring will have sagged on the drivers side which
has a big impact on the front height surprisingly. Even after having
my rear springs reset and swapping side to side, the drivers side
sagged back down within months. To compensate I added an extra leaf to
the drivers side and that improve things a lot, however I'm stuck with
the 'right front is too low' situation due to the shape of the arch,
even though the chassis is level.

Third is that the panhard rod is not always the right length and the
rear axle can be off to one side. I ended up shortening mine by half
an inch to bring the axle back to the centre of the car. Stand behind
it and look at how much the spinner sticks out of each side. Although
minor, this will make one side of the car slightly heavier than the
other.

And lastly, looking at the shape of the grille there has been some
repair work done in the past by people who aren't familiar with how
the front of a Healey should look. The panels may simply be in the
wrong place which gives the illusion of being the wrong height, or
worse the frame may be bent. If the chassis is level then you have
some bodywork issues.

Andy.